We Know: All About Snowmobiles
What is a snowmobile?
A snowmobile is a motorized vehicle that has tracks made from rubber that propels it over snow. These vehicles require no roads and utilize skis for steering functions.
What should I know before buying a snowmobile?
Buying a snowmobile is an investment. Answer these questions before shopping for a snowmobile:
- Who will be riding it? Be sure to research the models of snowmobiles best suited for who will be riding it, like children, a first time rider or someone of large stature.
- How much does the rider weigh? Weight of the rider will determine the heaviness of the snowmobile.
- What is the rider's experience level? Inexperienced riders will feel more comfortable riding on a lighter weight snowmobile, as it gives them more control over the device.
- What is my budget? Before setting foot in the store, be sure you have a price range in mind and stick to it.
What should I look for in a snowmobile?
- Recoil rope: Even if you opt for an electric starting snowmobile, all models should have a recoil rope. Be sure test it out. Does it require a lot of strength to pull? If so, you may want to move on.
- Steering: If it requires significant upper body strength to steer the snowmobile, it may not be suitable for younger or inexperienced riders. Be sure it can be steered with ease.
- Weight: Make sure the snowmobile is light enough so it can be loaded into a truck with one or two people. If not, think of the trouble you'll get into if you it becomes lodged in the snow.
Where can I find a snowmobile?
Many sports supply stores offer snowmobiles for sale. Another option is purchasing the snowmobile straight from the manufacturer like Arctic Cat, Polaris and Yamaha. You can also rent a snowmobile while on vacation in the mountains. They should be right alongside the skis and snowboards.
How much does a snowmobile cost?
The standard price range for snowmobiles lies between $5000-$10,000. The price of your snowmobile will depend on its horsepower, weight, size and added features that come with it. Those snowmobiles with all of the add-ons will price nearer to the $10,000 end.