We Know: All About Floor Sealers
When is a floor sealer used?
Floor sealers are used in residential and commercial applications to protect unfinished
floors from general use and food or liquid spills. Sealers are the base coat over which polish
or other finishers are then applied. Floor sealers are used on wood, concrete, vinyl, stone, and
Things to Know about Floor Sealers
Here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for a floor sealer:
- Most floor sealers are either for indoor or outdoor use. Make sure the product you use
is the right one.
- Verify that the floor sealer will work on the kind of floor material and floor finish
that you have. For example, what works for untreated concrete may not work for painted concrete or wood.
- Slightly overestimate how much floor sealer you will need. It is better to have to return
unopened containers than to run out in the middle of the job.
- Carefully follow the manufacturer's directions for the product. Each one works a little
differently and there is nothing more frustrating than months down the line finding that
your brand new floor has problems. Allow as much time as the manufacturer specifies for
application and drying times.
- Make sure the floor sealer you purchase is designed for floor surfaces rather than for floor
Examples of Floor Sealers
This is a small sampling of floor sealers available on the market today:
- Stonyl Indoor/Outdoor Seal. Seals and protects terrazzo, marble, brick, concrete,
granite, grout, quarry tile, and flagstone.
- TITESEAL. This is a clear acrylic, semi-permanent floor sealer. Can help to restore
old floors, and improves the finish gloss of new floors.
- ZEP Stain-Resistant Floor Sealer. This is a clear gloss coating that protects the
floor from food, drink, or petroleum-based stains.