We Know: How to Buy a Dog House
Why buy a doghouse?
A doghouse that is big enough for your dog to stretch out and turn around can protect
your animal from the elements, but it can also be a comforting place that he or she can
call their own.
Dog House Choices
You have many choices for dog houses and several of them include the following:
- Pre-assembled or do it yourself dog house kit.
- Door or no door.
- Sturdy plastic or wood.
- Flat roof or pitched roof.
- Asphalt shingle roof or plain wood roof.
Dog House Extras
You can go basic, or buy your dog a few extras to make them even more comfortable. Options
and features vary by model, but here are some to look for:
- Insulated walls. In colder climates, insulated walls will help to keep your dog
cozy and warm. Insulated walls can also keep the dog house cooler in summer.
- Rain shielded door. A shielded door helps to keep the rain from dripping down
inside the dog house. And this way, your dog can get right up to the door without getting
its face and paws wet.
- Flow through ventilation. This will keep the dog house cooler in summer, and warmer
- Raised floor. When the ground is wet or cold, a raised floor will help to keep
your dog more comfortable.
- Pitched roof. In climates where there is a lot of snow or rain, a pitched roof
will extend the life of the dog house.
- Adjustable feet. Adjustable feet allow you to level the dog house on uneven ground.