We Know: All About Having a Wedding in Hawaii
Why should I have a wedding in Hawaii?
Hawaii is a beautiful place to start life together. Whether you get are a resident or visitor, wedding planners can
provide a worry free wedding.
How long to I have to after receiving a marriage license in Hawaii?
For any person to lawfully marry in the State of Hawaii, a license for that purpose must be obtained from an
authorized agent. Once the license has been issued, there is no waiting period before the marriage can take place.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Marriage License in Hawaii?
- There are no state residence or U.S. citizenship requirements.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The legal age to marry is 18 years for both males and females.
- Males or females of 16 or 17 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents, legal
guardian, and the family court.
- Cousins may marry, however, the bride and groom cannot be closer than first cousins.
How do I apply for a Marriage License in Hawaii?
- The prospective bride and groom must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to apply for a
- The prospective bride and groom should be prepared to provide the necessary proof of age and present any required
written consents and approvals
- The prospective bride and groom must prepare an official application and file the application in person with the
marriage license agent.
- Upon approval, a marriage license is issued at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license costs $60.00, payable in cash at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license expires 30 days from and including the date of issuance, after which it automatically becomes
null and void.
- If you do not get married within the 30 days, return the unused license in the pre-addressed envelope provided to
you for invalidation.
How do I find a location to get married in Hawaii?
Call any resort in Hawaii and ask about having a wedding at the resort. Try to arrange a preview trip to several
resorts, (you should be able to arrange a discount to plan your wedding) so you can interview the planners at the
different resorts. Choose a planner who can do everything for your within your budget, especially if you don't live in
or near Hawaii.