We Know: All About Maid and Housekeeping Services
What are maid and housekeeping services?
Maid and housekeeping services refer to a companies that employ people to clean homes for a living.
Maid or housekeeping service can be a routine hire or a "when needed" affair. They are also often referred to as domestic services.
What sorts of responsibilities does a maid or housekeeper have?
A maid or a housekeeper can be responsible for all sorts of domestic needs. The most common duties housekeeping service companies will perform include:
- Dusting, Cleaning and Vacuuming: Housekeepers are usually hired to take care of the interior of the home by dusting shelves, baseboards and ceilings, cleaning windows and other surfaces and vacuuming carpets.
- Cooking: Many times, housekeepers will live in the home of their employer. These workers can cook the family meals and even help in preparing for large events that will take place in the household.
- Laundry: Housekeepers or maids can be responsible for the laundering of clothes and linens. Housekeepers with an emphasis in childcare may only be responsible for the washing of the children's clothing.
- Childcare: Some housekeepers or maids double as nannies and may be responsible for watching the children until a parent gets home from work, or assisting in taking the kids to school and extracurricular activities.
What should I look for when hiring a maid or housekeeper?
Hiring a maid is a serious responsibility. Allowing someone into your home and to come into contact with your belongings should require a substantial amount of research in finding the right person for the job. The following are few tips to keep in mind during the hiring process.
- Insurance: Many maids and housekeepers work through a service company that hires employees to work under the name of that company. Should you use such a service, make sure the company is insured to cover accidents in the workplace-your home.
- Ask For References: Before even considering hiring a maid from a company, seek out those who have worked with them before. Was their experience a good one? Always ask the housekeeping service company for references before hiring them.
- Employment Screening: Be sure to find out whether or not each of the maids or housekeepers are screened before hired to the company. Does the service company confirm their references and verify they are residents? These are very important items to take into consideration before hiring a maid.
- Contract: Who will provide the cleaning supplies, the maid company or you? What happens if you are not satisfied with the job done in your home? What happens if items are damaged in your home while the maid is working? These are questions that need to be answered and answered to the customer's satisfaction in a written contract signed by both you and the housekeeping company.
How much would it cost to utilize maid or housekeeping services on a regular basis?
Many maid and housekeeping service companies charge by the week and by the size of your living space. Small apartments often cost $40 a week, while a large home could cost $60 a week. These prices fluctuate on the type of home as well as if there are any special problem areas that need to be cleaned.