Are you throwing a bridal shower?
Here's what you need to know to pull it off successfully.
We Know: Bridal Shower Tips
What is a bridal shower?
A bridal shower is a gathering of traditionally female family members and friends of the bride before the wedding to play games, socialize and provide the newlyweds-to-be with the items they'll need for their new lives together.
How can I prepare for the bridal shower?
Most commonly the maid or matron of honors' task, the bridal shower can require quite a bit of planning. In order to do it right, consider the following things when in the planning stages of the bridal shower:
- Make a guest list. As with any party, creating a guest list right off the bat will help you know how much money will be spent, how large of a space you'll need, etc.
- Pick a theme. Bridal showers traditionally have themes. This theme will be reflected in the decorations you choose and the gifts. Popular themes include lingerie, rooms (guests only brings gifts for a specific room) and hand-made favors.
- Co-ed: Even though traditional bridal showers are for women only, many modern couples decide on a co-ed party. The groom, male family members and friends are welcome. Decide if this is the route you want to take.
- Pick activities. You don't want the guests to be bored. Come up with some fun activities to perk up conversation and make people comfortable.
- Choose decorations. Once you know the theme of the bridal shower, go to your local party supply store and pick out some nice decorations to accent the party space.
- Shower favors: Not all bridal showers have party favors for the guests, but many do. If you decide you want shower favors, think of an economical and personal gift that each guest could take home. Perhaps those cute purses with the initial of the person's first name embroidered on them?
What are some activities or games for a bridal shower?
Games and activities that are typical of bridal showers include:
- Clothespin Game: This one's very traditional. The game involves all guests receiving a clothespin as they enter the party. If one person hears another say the chosen buzzword for the day, they get to take their clothespin. Whoever has the most at the end of the day wins a prize.
- Truth or Lie? In this game, guests take turns revealing three things about themselves, two of which are true and one is false. The other guests then guess which fact is a lie. Those who guess right win a prize.
How much does throwing a bridal shower cost?
Bridal showers vary in price depending on what the guests will be doing. A cozy day at home and tea and be in the $200 range. An extravagant day at the spa is more around $2000.
What kinds of gifts are given at a bridal shower?
Guests are usually expected to bring items the couple will need for their new home, like appliances, linens, towels, lingerie, etc. If the party is a room-oriented affair, then guests bring gifts for a designated room. A kitchen bridal shower would elicit gifts like pans, potholders and utensils.