Thinking about buying a walk behind power lawn mower? Wondering what features to look for in order to maximize safety and ease of operation?
Here are some important features to look for when buying a power mower.
We Know: How to Buy A Safer Power Mower
In 1982, new safety features were mandated for power mowers by the federal government. Look for these required features when you shop for a power mower:
- A feature that ensures that the rotary blade automatically stops within 3 seconds when you take your hand off the controls.
- A foot shield feature that prevents any contact between your foot and the blade when you are walking behind the mower.
- A warning label near the discharge chute of the mower cautioning users to keep their hands a feet away from the chute. The mower must also have a certification label with the inscription "Meets Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards."
Additional Features You Want
Be sure to look for these additional safety features when shopping for a walk-behind lawn mower:
- A mower that is easy to start.
- Controls that are easy to reach and adjustable for different people.
- Deflectors at the discharge chute that force objects that may be ejected to be thrown down, toward the ground, not up.
- A mower where itís easy to adjust the blade cutting height.
- If you buy a model with a grass catcher bag, try getting a model where the rotary blade stops within three seconds after you release the controls, but the engine does not stop. That way you donít have to keep restarting.