About 200 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. What is carbon monoxide and how can you prevent a tragedy in your home?

We know: All About Carbon Monoxide Detectors

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that everyone install a carbon monoxide detector in their home and recommends you buy one that meets standards established in 1992.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when any fuel is burned incompletely.

What things in my home could produce excess carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide can leak from a faulty furnace or fuel-fired heater, or it can be trapped inside you house by a blocked chimney or flue. Also, burning charcoal inside the house or running an car engine in an attached garage can produce carbon monoxide in your home.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

If you are exposed to too much carbon monoxide in the air you may experience flu-like symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, headaches, nausea and irregular breathing.

How can I prevent excess carbon monoxide in my house?

Make sure all of your fuel-burning appliances operate properly. Have your home heating systems, including chimneys and flues, inspected each year.

Tell me about carbon monoxide detectors.

Detectors can provide an early warning by sounding an alarm when dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide are detected in the air. Exposure to a low concentration of carbon monoxide over several hours can be as dangerous as exposure to high levels for a few minutes. New detectors will warn you of both conditions.

How much do detectors cost?

Usually, under $100. The federal government believes carbon monoxide detectors are as important as smoke detectors and suggests you have at least one detector in the area outside individual bedrooms.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use � 2003-2009, ineed2know.org

Sponsored by